September 15, 2010

Who Am I ???

*Bred in Kentucky, I was an American champion who went winless at Kentucky tracks.

*My sire’s most important win came in a race no longer run, his sire was a Horse of the Year.

*I won eight stakes, all of them graded, and the first six were split equally between only two tracks.

*My best known offspring won just under three times as much in earnings as I did.

*I was a regular in the Breeders’ Cup, but unfortunately each result got progressively worse.

*I did not mind carrying a lot of weight, once winning a race with more than 130 pounds on my back.

*My first stakes win and my last stakes win were a couple of weeks shy of being exactly three years apart.

*I won greater than one-third of my more than 30 lifetime starts.

*My most regular rider was on board each time during my string of five straight stakes wins.

*The majority of my stakes wins occurred in my sophomore season, which was not my Eclipse Award winning season.

*Both my trainer and I have passed away. He is in the Hall of Fame, I am not.

You should know by now … Who Am I ???

17 comments:

John B said...

groovy!

Brian Zipse said...

Is that a comment or a guess? If a guess, it is incorrect.

John B said...

Precisionist

the previous one was a guess!

Brian Zipse said...

LOL, I knew it was. Sorry to say, Precisionist is also incorrect, John.

Silent Sunday said...

Fly So Free

Brian Zipse said...

Speedy SilentSunday brings the goods with Fly So Free!!!

NetworkEmpowerment said...

Kona Gold?

Brian Zipse said...

What was the telling clue for solving this so fast SilentSunday?

Ciarán said...

wahey least i got to play this week! nice work tim!

Michael said...

Darn. I looked up Fly So Free and saw he had 33 starts. I must have misread the number of starts clue. I thought it was 30.

Brian Zipse said...

It was more than 30 on the clue, Michael.

Silent Sunday said...

The KY losses...He was my Derby pick in 91 after his prep performances. I knew he had never won in KY and that he had ran in the BC several times. Then just went to his PP's to confirm.

Silent Sunday said...

Thanks Ciaran!

Brian Zipse said...

You certainly made it look easier to get Fly So Free, the 1990 juvenile champ, than I thought it would be. Kudos Tim!

Silent Sunday said...

Thanks Brian! Glad I got to play tonight.

John B said...

Meaow Star won on that same card, When Fly So Free won. And Go For Wand went down.

Brian Zipse said...

Right you are John ... My two favorite horses of 1990 were Unbridled and Go For Wand. One of them won the Classic and the other lost their life. Racing can be a tough game.