September 19, 2010

Before the Breeders’ Cup, There is October 2

I try to temper my anticipation for the Breeders’ Cup because I know it is still almost seven weeks away, but it is not easy when I think about what will be at this year’s two-day smorgasbord. I honestly believe that this year’s Cup is shaping up as one of the best in history. Luckily, I have great racing in the meantime to help me get through the next 47 days. Speaking of great racing, with each passing day, I am becoming more excited for a day of racing only 12 days out. October 2 has always looked good on paper, but now as we move closer to the big Breeders’ Cup prep day, horses are coming out of the woodwork to make one final push towards Louisville. Decisions are still not finalized, but this is what the day will potentially look like.

Super Saturday at Belmont Park will be just that. I will be in attendance, and my mouth has already began to water at the thought of Blame being tested by Rail Trip, Afleet Express, and Fly Down in the prestigious Jockey Club Gold Cup, Rachel Alexandra attempting to regain her dominance over Eastern females in the Beldame, Paddy O’ Prado wading into the older turf waters for the first time in the Turf Classic, and the brilliant Japanese filly, Red Desire making her American debut in the Flower Bowl Invitational. Throw in the speedsters in the Vosburgh, and I will be in a grade one state of mind.

Not to be outdone, the stars will be out at Hollywood Park, and no star shines brighter than the Queen of Perfection. Adding to the occasion is the fact that the Lady’s Secret Stakes will almost certainly be Zenyatta’s swan song at a California racetrack. While the proceedings may be dominated by the Big Z; Twirling Candy, Richard’s Kid, and Crown of Thorns will headline a most intriguing Goodwood Stakes, and J. P’s Gusto will look to keep his stakes streak going in the Grade 1 Norfolk Stakes. Add a couple of graded turf stakes for the distaffers, including the always interesting Yellow Ribbon, and you can see that both coasts will be loaded on the 2nd of October.

If you can’t make it to the Atlantic or the Pacific, how about the top three-year-old in the nation making an appearance in the Hoosier State, as Looking at Lucky uses the Indiana Derby as his Classic prep. The Indiana Oaks should serve as a tasty side dish for the Indiana doings. Staying in the Midwest, just up 65 North a ways, and Hawthorne should produce a Classic contender, as it plays host to the half a million dollar Hawthorne Gold Cup.

Back east, Parx (sounds weird doesn’t it?) Philadelphia will have one of the best races of the day with Blind Luck, Devil May Care, and Havre De Grace renewing their rivalry in the rich Cotillion Stakes. A little farther south, it’s Maryland Million Day at Laurel. The day’s racing riches seem almost boundless.

October 2 may be no Breeders’ Cup Day, but as you can see, it will be an awesome day of racing that should keep us satisfied until we can all get together at Churchill Downs.

10 comments:

NetworkEmpowerment said...

That weekend is STACKED! I can't wait for it all to come. It will be only second to the Breeders Cup.

Brian Zipse said...

Well, if you call Zenyatta, Rachel, Blame, Rail Trip, Afleet Express, Paddy O' Prado, Twirling Candy, J. P's Gusto, Looking at Lucky, Blind Luck, etc... as stacked, then yes!!!

Any early picks for the races???

bedfont said...

Belmont will be my first day's US racing and I am beyond pumped.

I did do Woodbine the day Cigar lost in the BC when my all time fav Pilsudski came late to pay for the trip from England.

Arc day in Paris the next day...

Ryder Cup, Play off Ball...

Looks like I'll have to make another trip to see NY.

Brian Zipse said...

Outstanding Jonathan! have a great time at beautiful Belmont Park, and in the Ryder Cup ... go USA! ;-)

Heather said...

I'll be at Hollywood Park. Gotta go with Zenyatta, Twirling Candy, and J P's Gusto.

Brian Zipse said...

Excellent Heather, since I will be in New York, can I count on you to be my West Coast correspondent?

markinsac said...

It will actually be the best non-BC day of the year. I'll be at HOLLYOOOD PARK along with a big throng of Zenyatta lovers. It doesn't get any better than this! The simulcasts will be fantastic. It's a must for any fan. I know I'll leave Hollywood park with tears. It may be my last ever visit to the great race place of Inglewood. Hope you all come out!

RachelAlex said...

Hi Brian and I too will be at Belmont to see my lady Rachel.

What a bonus to be able to also witness the likes of Blame, etc., that same day.

GO RACHEL!

Brian Appleton said...

Incredible line-up! Almost every major divisional leader is making an appearance this coming weekend.

I really, really hope Rachel Alexandra is able to rediscover her spark and throw in a huge win in the Beldame. I'm hoping to make it to Belmont as well.

Ann said...

I agree with you on the B.C. Classic. It will be gut wrenching for me. It truly will be a Classic race.