June 8, 2010

The Genesis of ZATT

It always surprises me whenever someone asks me where the name ZATT comes from. I would have thought that it would be readily apparent, but after so many occurrences of being questioned, I realize that I need to be completely transparent with my readers. Pardon me, for those who had this figured out a long time ago, but the name ZATT comes directly from the name of some of my all-time favorite horses…

Who can ever forget the top-notch runner and superior sire, Storm Zatt, or the brilliant Horse of the Year of 2004, Ghostzatter? Tale of the Zatt was a huge talent and is now the sire of a champion, while Zatt Daddy was a major winner and one of the favorites for the Kentucky Derby before his early retirement. The D. Wayne Lukas trained, Zatt Thief won the big one in the 1999 Breeders‘ Cup Classic, and Any Given Zatturday routed two-time Horse of the Year, Curlin, in the Haskell. The Haskell was also won impressively by his older stablemate, Bluegrass Zatt.

I also like to remind race fans of Zatticus, who won major races on both sides of the Atlantic, and Zatty G who was a very talented son of champion, Capote. Then there is Discreet Zatt, who may have been one of the more talented milers we have seen in recent years, and was the only other horse to win a race entered by Invasor. Still in training, I am very fond of the talented turfer, Courageous Zatt, who was second to the great Goldikova in last year’s BC Mile, and the talented old warrior, Brass Zatt, who keeps going and going. The list could go on my friends, but I think you see my point.

ZATT and racing have gone hand in hand for years, and will continue to do so. I doubt I could have possibly picked a better name.


9 comments:

Abitaamber said...

And all this time, I thought you were named after the Dead song, "China Zatt Sunflower"...or maybe the JGB tune, "Zatts Under The Stars".

However, I am quite certain that you've done everything you can to disassociate yourself from Ted Nugent's classic, "Zatt Scratch fever".

Brian Zipse said...

LMAO! Zatt Scratch Fever...nice. The Nuge!!!

NJDerek said...

When is the "ZATT's What She Said" merchandise going to hit the streets?

Brian Zipse said...

Oh you guys are good!!! Michael Scott and I are in negotiations as we speak...

NetworkEmpowerment said...

Oh, lord. Well I'm not to witting, I take some times to come up with my jokes.

Unknown said...

That would be really cool!
"ZATT's what he said" T-shirts with a silhouette of a galloping horse & rider...and 50% of the profits of the sales could go to either t-bred rescues or the disabled jockey's fund.
Whatcha tink, dare, ZATTmando??

BTW, I want 2; one in light green and one in med blue :)

Unknown said...

Actually, I think "ZATT's what they said" would be better..covers both sexes! :)

Brian Zipse said...

Derek and Jane,

This "Zatt's What She/He/They Said" appears to have legs...perhaps a national ad campaign. Who wants to call the networks?

Michael said...

Oh well, everyone took mine. ZATT's the breaks!