April 5, 2010

Todd Pletcher - The Definition of Due

Todd Pletcher has clearly been the man so far this year on the Kentucky Derby trail. Pletcher’s horses have won this year’s Wood Memorial, Louisiana Derby, Fountain of Youth, Sam F. Davis Stakes and Risen Star Stakes. So dominant is Pletcher, that it is almost hard to imagine a big Derby prep without at least one of his runners in the mix. In this week’s prestigious Blue Grass, he will have two of the favorites in Aikenite and Interactif. In the Arkansas Derby, he has another of the top choices in Super Saver. The Pletcher prep wins are likely to continue. This winning streak is nothing new for the 42 year old conditioner. Pletcher has won four Eclipse Awards as the nation's outstanding trainer. He has led the national standings in earnings four times, and in 2007, he set a record when his stable earned more than $28 million. But despite of all of these personal achievements, his career is incomplete.
***The remainder of today's column can be found on Youbet.com*** Click Here

6 comments:

D.P. said...

Pletcher will win the Derby, when pigs fly. Eskendereya and the rest will lose and one of them will run last.

Brian Zipse said...

LOL. Do not beat around the bush, D.P., tell us how you really feel!

Silent Sunday said...

I think this is by far the best chance he has ever had, which is really an empty comment...I mean he's basically got a platoon invading my sweet town in the next couple weeks. But here are my thoughts...I think this year, with all the frontrunners it is going to be a very contested pace...I'm thinking 22 and change....going to get ugly in the opening quarter and half I think. So he should have the pace to settle in behind which brings me to my issue with him. He hasn't been challenged, bumped, knocked, had dirt in the face..etc. His race lays within the gate break. If he doesn't get the clean break and settle in about the 2 or 3 path sitting at the head of the second contingent, I don't think he will react well to the hard knocking run into the first turn. This leaves the door open for a horse who is not as good as him which, of course, happens in the Derby. And I will also mention that I would bet him at 9/5, but we all know he isn't going off anywhere near that price..lol! And after watching the SA Derby a few more times, especially the overhead view, I'm still on Lucky...slow slow pace, dead stopped, and still came running late to finish up. I will love the price I will get him at now in the Derby.

Anonymous said...

I think 13 in the Derby would be plenty but there will probably be more.
RG

Brian Zipse said...

tjreyn01, I do agree with everything you said, except for the odds. With 20 betting interests, I do not see Eskendereya going off much lower than 9-5, or 2-1.

The days of 13 horses in the Derby are over, R.G. You can expect a field of 20.

C T Coleman said...

Love pletcher but he could have 15 in the derby and still not win it. I also dont hold it against him that he hasnt won the KY Derby; it reality its the weirdest race ran. 20 horses going five and six wide in the first turn, Traffic Jam would be a Step up. also with 3 year olds who are still learnig what its all about. Esken is an impressive horse ran 2 big races but I refuse to eat chalk in the race and ill beat him elsewhere