April 27, 2010

Bits and Pieces

Before I jump into more Derby and Oaks thoughts, I would like to pass on some exciting news happening here at ZATT headquarters…

ZATT the Magazine is ready to launch! A personal dream of mine is just days away from becoming reality. The online magazine will launch this Friday morning at http://www.zattmag.com/. Look for many of the features you have come to expect on this blog, as well as much, much more. Special thanks to Issue #1 contributors: Steve Haskin, Bill Pressey, Ciaran De Barra, Claire Novak, Kate Hunter, Kerry Thomas, Sid Fernando, Marti McGinnis, Eric Kalet, Marti Guzman, Cecilia G. Felix, Jamie Newell, Patrick Sheehan and Sue Kawczynski. ZATT the Magazine promises to be bigger and better than I have ever done before, and it truly is “For the Love of Thoroughbred Horse Racing!”

I am honored to announce that I have been named the Thoroughbred Racing in New York (TRNY) Member of the Week. This is a sensational Facebook group run by the most creative man in the business, Ernie Munick. As Member of the Week, I was able to write a piece on how I fell in love with horses and racing. I plan to publish the piece on ZATT soon, but in the meantime, please check it out at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8466519122#!/topic.php?uid=8466519122&topic=19510 If you are not yet a Facebook member or a TRNY member, join up, it is most worthwhile.

ZATT on the radio - I will be previewing Churchill’s huge weekend, Derby et al, on Steve Borstein’s daily sports show. The show airs live from Steve’s studios in Farmington, NM... home of Chip Woolley, trainer of Mine That Bird. It can be found live on this website http://www.foxsports1340.com/. Click on the "listen live" button on the center of the home page .... the show is called "First Sports with Steve Bortstein." My time slot is scheduled to be Friday, Oaks Day, at 9:30am EST. It is a live show, so be sure to tune in Friday morning!

OK! Now back to business…

One of my favorite, if not my favorite, bets of the year is the Oaks-Derby Double. Derby action can begin early and what better way to begin, than starting your bet off with a win in the Kentucky Oaks. I have had some big scores with this bet in the past, and once again, I am looking for a solid payoff this year. At the time of this writing, Devil May Care is still possible for either race, but I am guessing that the Derby will be the choice. So with that in mind and barring any last minute changes, here is my Oaks-Derby play:

Kentucky Oaks (2) - Blind Luck (the favorite, but a must play) and It’s Tea Time (a quickly developing Dynaformer filly with some nice odds.)

Kentucky Derby (7) - Awesome Act (my top play with the odds), Lookin at Lucky (the one to beat), Endorsement (the now horse), Devil May Care (the filly has a shot), Mission Impazible (might be ready to peak), Super Saver (Borel on a Churchill horse…beware), Sidney’s Candy (not sure, but he might be this good),

There you have it…14 combinations with many of them likely to pay well into the triple digits. Good luck!

7 comments:

Patrick J Patten said...

I'd like to bet Awesome Again in the Derby, but isn'the like 20 years old ;-P

Brian Zipse said...

LOL, getting old!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on all your recent achievements, Brian! So you don't place American Lion anywhere in your picks, I see. I thought I saw something posted by Haskin this weekend about his having a good workout and of course his "late blooming" possibility as a KD contender. Wow, on "It's Tea Time;" I had no idea she was a Dynaformer filly....who was the one from last year and the previous who won fairly often, Dynaforce???? Anyway, saw Dynaformer, what a mean monster!!! All horse!

Illinois Sue

Brian Zipse said...

Thanks Sue, I did not want this all to sound boastful...I am just trying to get the word out. Dynaformer has long been one of America's best sires, and one that can produce horses equally good on turf or dirt. We all remember Barbaro.

SaratogaSpa said...

Great news,look forward to the Mag!

Sarah Grice said...

I've narrowed my pics down to Ice Box (ever since i fell for Go For Gin, I always root for Zito!), Awesome Act, Devil May Care, Mission Impazible, Super Saver (the Borel factor!), & Sidney’s Candy. I like SC more if the track is dry and less if it's sloppy. There you have it. My not-so-professional opinion. :)

NetworkEmpowerment said...

Can not wait for the magazine! In the Oaks, I haven't looked over the PP's yet, but fromthe top of my head I like Crisp, Quiet Temper and Blind Luck. The Derby, I am not going to make my final picks until the drawing comes out. A bad post can make or break a horse in the Derby.