May 19, 2010

Who Am I ???

*I won more than half of my lifetime starts, but finished out of the money eight times.

*Stricken as a juvenile, I did not race until near the end of my two-year-old season, but I went on to win stakes in the next three years.

*My most important victories all came in the state of New York.

*My final two performance were quite possibly the finest races in my excellent career.

*I won my Eclipse Award before my trainer started winning his Eclipse Awards.

*My primary jockey rode me 18 times, including my final 15 starts.

*My career was cut short by the same malady that I was afflicted with as a young horse.

*In my championship season, each of my races was run at a different distance.

*I won more stakes at Belmont than anywhere else, but my maiden win and my first stakes score both came at Aqueduct.

*I was an Easterner; the only time I raced away from the East Coast was a failed attempt in Kentucky.

*I passed away years ago, but I am still remembered as an American champion.

You should know by now … Who Am I ???

9 comments:

Silent Sunday said...

Left Bank

Brian Zipse said...

Well this one took a little longer, but for two weeks in a row we have a first guess winner!

Congrats Silent Sunday, it is Left Bank!

Brian Zipse said...

Tell us how you came to the answer, Silent.

Silent Sunday said...

You like the new name? lol...I lucked out honestly. Because of the coastal bias along with the different distances in the championship season, i started researching NY graded stakes winners....and fell right upon him at the different distances in 02 and knew Velazquez had rode him tons.

Brian Zipse said...

Strong players make their own luck...well done Tim, you are this week's champion!

Anonymous said...

Didn't Left Bank die while he was in training?

tencentcielo said...

arrrrgh!!! I was throw off by the use of "years ago" in the last clue!

Good job SS! :-)

Brian Zipse said...

Yes, Left Bank died from complications from colic. He was getting ready for the Woodward when he became sick, and died several weeks later.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like HTJ. BaBa Booey.