May 21, 2010

Vacation Over … What’s Next?

Seven days in Maryland over and out. I had more than my fill of crabs, the boardwalk, and sand in my…well you get the idea. Candie, Kendra and I did have a great time, and who knows, maybe we will make it back to Ocean City, Maryland sometime down the road. We decided on Maryland in the first place strictly to visit Pimlico, and a couple of days there was an experience that I will not soon forget. The pilgrimage to Pimlico and the Preakness was something I needed to do. Would I recommend the Baltimore oval as a racetrack destination? Maybe. It is different than any other racetrack I have ever been to, and as you know, I have been to a lot. A city track that is either old, or steeped in tradition, depending on your point-of-view, I will say that Pimlico puts on a good show for the Preakness. The traditionalist side in me hopes that Maryland never loses the Middle Jewel of the Triple Crown.

Heading back to Chicagoland on a jet plane, or actually a Mazda 5, in our case, I got to thinking about what is on the horizon for us horse racing fans. That is what I do after all, as the mile markers whiz by. Maryland to Delaware, back into Maryland, to Pennslylvania, to Ohio, to Indiana, and finally home in Illinois. Of course I’m going to think about the horses at least a little. Here’s what I was thinking about. The queen of the turf mile, Goldikova, returns on Sunday in the Prix d'Ispahan at Longchamp, and she should have her hands full with the classy filly, Stacelita. Eight days after that, the Met Mile will be the third race of 2010 for Quality Road. In case you missed it, his last race in the Donn Handicap was one of the most impressive performances seen so far in the 21st century.

Keeping my attention at Belmont Park, the Test of Champions, will be run six days later. While this year’s Belmont Stakes does not boast a list of big names, it is still a Classic, and one that I am salivating over as a betting race. One week later, Zenyatta the great, puts her unblemished record on the line in the Vanity at Hollywood Park, and that same weekend I will be road tripping to Louisville for a sure to be interesting Stephen Foster Handicap. Finally the first half of June may include the next race for my favorite horse Rachel Alexandra, and who knows, maybe it will be the race where we see the real Rachel. Am I deflated by another year without a Triple Crown winner? Nope, not me.

3 comments:

D.P. said...

That's what I like about you Zipse, always looking at the positive side of things.

Michael said...

Don't be afraid to say Pimlico is a dump. They may put on a good show for the Preakness but the facility has been neglected for years, including the prosperous years. I believe if Pimlico replaced the grandstand, they could be in line for a Breeder's Cup. But I think that is merely a dream that has long passed.

Unknown said...

OMG...I took one look at that crab and almost forgot to read your column! LOL! I LOVE crabs! LOL!

Regarding the Belmont, people can say, Oh, there are no big names in the Belmont, however, isn't it the "Test of the Champion" which CREATES a big name? Especially when you run in the "Crown Jewel of the Triple Crown!"

As much as I want Charly to win, I know whomever does out of this field, will DESERVE the title Champion! Plus, this will make the Haskell and Travers all the more sweeter! If you have 3 different winners from all the Jewels, the winner of the following races will be more likely crowned the HOY. We aren't even halfway thru the year yet...we shall see...

Too bad NYRA doesn't know how to market THAT! LOL! Maybe they'd have less problems! You and I should run their marketing department! HAHAHA!!!!!!