May 17, 2010

There’s Something Brewing on the Jersey Shore

I write today’s column from our temporary vacation spot on the Maryland Shore. As I gaze out on the Atlantic Ocean from our third-floor patio, my thoughts wander up the coastline about 100 miles. Monmouth Park for years was my second Summer home. I have countless great memories from the South Jersey oval, such as the 1987 War at the Shore with Bet Twice, Alysheba, and Lost Code. During my lifetime, Monmouth Park has attracted quality horses and horsepeople, and has been the second best track on the East Coast. It has held firm to it’s placing just behind Belmont Park in early Summer, and then Saratoga during the second half of the season. Nothing wrong with being second best, right? Well no, there is nothing wrong with being second best, but this year Monmouth Park has other ideas. In 2010 they will unveil the plan.
***The remainder of today's column can be found on Youbet.com*** Click Here

1 comments:

Celeste said...

To me it sounds like a viable plan and I wish them much success. It might be something that in the long run will be to the benefit of the horses and the racing industry.