May 14, 2010

Black-Eyed Susan Day and An Old Friend

My first day at Pimlico was interesting, let’s just leave at that. It is nice to be at the Maryland track with so much tradition, and the home of one of America’s biggest races. I explored the place inside and out, and came to the conclusion that it is old. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Adding to my interesting first day at Pimlico was the result of the day’s big race. It was strange. In the Black-Eyed Susan, I had decided to play two horses, Seeking the Title and Diva Delite. Neither of my selections would finish the race. Diva Delite clipped heels with C C’s Pal and fell to the track. Meanwhile Seeking the Title, trying to avoid the fallen horse and jockey, unseated jockey Kent Desormeaux. Julien Leparoux, rider of Diva Delite, received medical attention on the track before he was taken to the Hospital for further examination. Leparoux seems to be OK for the most part, but will no doubt feel the hard spill for awhile. Desormeaux and both fillies, Seeking The Title and Diva Delite, avoided serious injury. Leparoux is scheduled to ride Pleasant Prince in the Preakness, while Desormeaux will be on Paddy O’Prado tomorrow. Acting Happy went on to win the Black-Eyed Susan by 1 1/2 lengths in the bizarre running. I was left to wonder…Pimlico, are you trying to tell me something?

After the unusual Black-Eyed Susan result, I met some more bad news. One of my favorite horses, Skip Away passed away this morning of a heart attack at the age of 17. Skip Away was a horse I remembered on this blog not that long ago, and a horse I had a great affection for. He was a modern day warrior who danced every single dance. Skippy was a son of Skip Trial, who won 18 times in 38 starts. He ran consistently well in top flight competition over four consecutive seasons, amassing more than $9.6 million in earnings. He was a three-time Eclipse Award winner and the 1998 Horse of the Year. Skip Away was a winner of ten grade 1 races, but today on my initial visit to Pimlico, I could not help but to recall a losing effort. In the 1996 Preakness, I liked Skip Away, as I usually did, and was disappointed he could not never reel in the speedy Louis Quatorze. Skip Away finished second in that Preakness, but had many days of redemption after leaving Pimlico. I am sorry to see a true champion leave us so soon. Rest in peace Skippy, you are one horse I will never forget.

Let’s hope that tomorrow is a better today. It should be…tomorrow is Preakness Day.


2 comments:

NetworkEmpowerment said...

I couldn't believe it when I saw the news about Skip Away. I'm sorry you had so much bad news on your first day. I hope tomorrow is much better.

Celeste said...

Thanks for updating the information on the horses who seemed to collide/tumble/spill in the Black Eyed Susan. I'd read other sites indicating the jockeys appeared ok, so now I'm finally learning how the two fillies came out - thank you. I hope your day tomorrow is wonderful, Brian! Lots of fun and lots of wins.

So sad about Skip Away. Now that I am so into trying to learn about racing, I regret that I was not paying attention back then. Oh, I semi followed the Triple Crown races, but then didn't see/hear/read anything until the next year rolled around. From what I've read about Skip Away today it seems that he was the kind of horse I would have loved to have rooted for, well...other than I saw that he defeated Cigar and Cigar is one of my favorites.