March 15, 2010

Here's What I Saw

As far as the big two, Zenyatta won and Rachel did not. While the Zenyatta juggernaut continues to roll on and on, to the tune of an amazing record of 15 wins in 15 starts, Rachel came back from a long layoff to finish 2nd by ¾ of a length to another John Shirreffs trained runner, Zardana. It was not what everyone expected for last year’s Horse of the Year. Rachel was clearly short after six months off and was not pushed too hard by rider Calvin Borel. I have little doubt that she will get a lot out of the loss, and will be much improved for her next race. Unfortunately, that will not come in the Apple Blossom on April 9. Zenyatta will be there after her typical awesome performance, but the connections of Rachel Alexandra feel she is not quite ready for the meeting. Hopefully the two superstars will get a chance to settle things on the track sometime soon.
***The remainder of today's column can be found on Youbet.com*** Click Here

2 comments:

Silent Sunday said...

I can't read the rest on youbet because I'm on a work computer and going to youbet.com is a big no no...lol, but I'm thinking the Stephen Foster would be a great place for these two to meet. It gives Rachel enough time to get fully fit and get another race under her belt. Both have proven they can run against the boys anyway. Well that's my dream anyway so I could definitely be in attendance.

Brian Zipse said...

If that happens, I will be right there with you, and even if it doesn't, the Foster is on my radar this year.