September 13, 2010

Finally … That’s the Al Khali I’ve been Waiting For

Blocked completely for much of the stretch, the task seemed absolutely hopeless for Al Khali and new rider Alan Garcia. Leader Strike a Deal was resilient on the lead, and recent grade 1 winner Winchester was bearing down on him on the outside. Al Khali was clearly full of run, but desperately seeking racing room until Garcia found the opportunity to yank him to the outside. Within an instant of altering course, Al Khali’s rally was launched like only the folks at Cape Canaveral could appreciate, carrying him to a sudden and measured neck victory over favored Winchester.

In typical understated fashion, trainer Bill Mott said, “At the eighth pole, I didn’t think we had any chance, but he came with a good run.”
***The remainder of today's column can be found on Youbet.com*** Click Here

3 comments:

Amateurcapper said...

Brian,

I was truly expecting this effort last time out but he was too close to a very quick pace at Sar and succumbed in the final 1/8. Today I thought WINCHESTER would get his measure, thank goodness he was so heavily favored making AL KHALI look like good value in what I saw as a two-horse race.

Garcia did well to keep him covered up but nearly got AL KHALI beat when unable to find room in early stretch. Garcia will probably stay aboard, but I'd prefer Leparoux on him any day.

Brian Zipse said...

I agree Rob, I also feel he was the best horse in the Sword Dancer. To add you your thoughts, I think he is better off when he has something to run at, which of course he did not get in the Sword Dancer. Along those lines, I would want a patient rider for him. Garcia and Leparoux both fit the bill.

NetworkEmpowerment said...

It was a great race, no doubt. Let's hope he can keep that kind of run consistently in the future.