April 1, 2010

Who Am I ???

*Bred in the United States, I was a hero in my native state.

*I won stakes in four of my five seasons of racing; injuries hampered my chances in the only year I was not a stakes winner.

*I was defeated in the Kentucky Derby, but I still ended the year as the nation‘s top three-year-old.

*My English bred sire produced two other champions besides myself; they were both female.

*In one of my biggest wins, I set a track record carrying 133 pounds.

*Before my injuries, I was able to win 18 times, 16 of them coming in stakes races.

*I raced my Hall of Fame rival four times at the age of three, and we each won twice, but I won the final meeting.

*I won major races in the East, Midwest, and West, with my world record coming in Kentucky.

*My list of honors include four eclipse awards and induction into racing‘s Hall of Fame.

*I never cowered in the dust, and my fans went home plenty flush.

*I sired thirteen stakes winners, but none could match my accomplishments on the racetrack.

You should know by now … Who Am I ???

31 comments:

Michael said...

Temperance Hill???

Brian Zipse said...

Sorry Michael, it is not Temperance Hill.

Michael said...

Skip Away?

Brian Zipse said...

Michael, you are the only one brave enough to be guessing so far...unfortunately, Skip Away is not the answer.

Ciarán said...

Rock View

D.P. said...

Arts and Letters!!!

Brian Zipse said...

Rock View - No

Arts and Letters - No

Michael said...

Skip Away was the first horse I saw that had 18 wins and 16 stakes.

Ciarán said...

The Manager... u go far enuf back u cant get info so I cant prove myself wrong..might as well let u say it..

Brian Zipse said...

It was a good guess, in that Skip Away lost the Derby and was 3y.o. champ.

Brian Zipse said...

Sorry, it is not The Manager.

Anonymous said...

BROAD BRUSH

NetworkEmpowerment said...

Key to the Mint?

malcer said...

Could be Challedon.

Brian Zipse said...

Key to the Mint - No

Broad Brush - No

NetworkEmpowerment said...

Ok, I'll change that to Damascus.

Brian Zipse said...

Could be Challedon? It is!!!

Well done malcer!

Brian Zipse said...

We have a new champion...how did you know it was Challedon, malcer?

Ciarán said...

challedon 20 wins accordin to wikipedia :( saw him. dismissed him.

Michael said...

Hmmm. thoroughbred database shows Challedon has 20 wins in 44 starts?

Brian Zipse said...

20 wins total, 18 before injuries for the Maryland legend and back-to-back Horse of the Year.

Ciarán said...

fine lookin horse! picture on pedigreequery (cough*where it also says 20 wins*cough)

Ciarán said...

grrr brian... grrr

Michael said...

New twist..injury 'implies' end of career.

malcer said...

@Brian:

Great idea.

To be honest, I had to check online if his sire Challenger II was indeed British and then still wasn't entirely sure.

Which race did he win with 133?

Again, great idea and execution; seemed so easy at first glance, but turned into a real brain-jogger. Thanks!

Brian Zipse said...

He came back to win two races and one stakes at six-years-old, after missing most of his five-year-old season due to injuries.

Ciarán said...

went thru 100 horses including challedon. quality quiz Brian. sickened tho. well done malcer

Brian Zipse said...

The Hollywood Gold Cup of 1940 was a win, and a track record, for the great Challedon carrying 133 pounds.

Brian Zipse said...

retirement implies end of career, injuries...not so much.

Brian Zipse said...

Congratulations to our new champion, malcer. This week's Who Am I ??? was not easy...well done!!!

malcer said...

@Brian:

Sorry, missed your question at first.

It was a bit lucky, to be frank. The 133 track record was clearly leading to a horse more than 40 or 50 years ago. I eventually remembered Challedon as a major Maryland horse who lost the Ky Derby to Johnstown, another Hall of Fame horse (once read a few articles on MD racing history). Then I checked that he was indeed an Eclipse winner, checked that he was indeed by Challenger (II), who was indeed British. The years/injury stuff matched too, so the odds were clearly in my favor.