April 12, 2010

Derby Dozen & Oaks Eleven

Inside of three weeks now. Excitement is building. Will we have our first Triple Crown winner in 32 years? Will another Oaks winner use it as a springboard to the Preakness or Belmont? These questions and many more will be answered in the coming days. The most exciting two minutes in sports and its filly counterpart are almost upon us. The wait is almost over. If I sound excited, it’s because I am! Let’s get ready to get Down and Derby!!! Here is how I rate them less than 21 days from kickoff, Ladies first…

1 Devil May Care Back in top form; Pletcher has the horses to sweep the Oaks and the Derby.

2 Blind Luck I thought she was the best of the juvenile fillies, she’s still the one every horse has to beat.

***The remainder of today's column can be found on Youbet.com*** Click Here

4 comments:

Michael said...

Hey Brian, you have Setsuko at #4 yet if I remember correctly, he is something like #28 on the earnings list. Do you think he will get into the race?

NetworkEmpowerment said...

Very nice top dozen and eleven. One horse that I think could have an outsiders shot if he can keep the talent he has shown in flashes, more consistent is Stately Victor. He has run a good race over all three surfaces and was second in his best dirt try, to Winslow Homer. I know I need to wary of the BG, but the more I think of this colt the more I like him.

I also am still on the Dublin bandwagon. He did hang, but I personally think he was to forwardly placed and that being closer to a hot pace softened that late kick a bit. I feel that if he rates in mid pack in the Derby and comes with that one run he will have a good shot to steal the show. I also think D. Wayne may have not had him fully cranked. He didn't have a lack of earnings and had two pretty stiff preps already. He has face some of the best horses probably entered in the Derby and has always been knocking at the door. If he peaks and gets to use that closing kick he'll be dogging the leaders as they come down the CD stretch.

Brian Zipse said...

Michael, At #25 currently, Setsuko is squarely sitting in an uncomfortable position. It is very questionable whether he will get in. If he does, I like him.

Abitaamber said...

Nice to see Drosselmeyer shooting up your rankings!