November 27, 2010

ZATT Comes Alive!

Fresh off a turkey trifecta box, the best looking South African in Hollywood since Charlize Theron, and Successful Dan playing pinball like a wizard until the stewards flashed the Tilt sign, I have decided to try something completely different.  Frampton did it, why not ZATT?  Drum roll please … I give you the first ever live version of Zipse at the Track.  Live updates all day long.  Let’s go interactive.  Join in and tell me what you think.

9:55 AM - Currently getting all the homework done for a huge day of racing. Selections will come as we near the races, but here is a quick preview of what I will have my eyes on … Race of the day is the Cigar Mile at the Big A, with a side of Gazelle, more turf racing from Hollywood, but most of all, today has me stoked to see all the promising juveniles. Not limited to juvi stakes in New York and Louisville, there are excellent two-year-olds running all over the nation. Who’s with me?

10:55 AM - Starting things off early with the turf opener at Aqueduct. It looks like the #10 Gimme Credit and the #4 Midnight Billy are the class of the race. I'll box them in an exacta.

11:05 AM - 3rd & 4th. That's what I was afraid of ... lack of pace killed my chances.

11:14 AM - Not too much going on in the early races, and I need to save some money for my best bet of the day, Violon Sacre in the Citation at Hollywood ... still more than 7 hours away ;-)

11:42 AM - Back on the grass for the 3rd at Aqueduct. The #8 Westside Corral could be a standout, but I love the turf breeding of first time starter #7 Boat for trainer Thomas Bush. At 9-1, I'll place a little WPS action.

11:45 AM - Looks like Switching Gears appreciated the return to maiden company at Churchill ... impressive win.

12:00 PM - Ugly spill at Aqueduct, I hope everyone is OK. First timer, Boat rallies mildy for 4th, while the winner Westside Corral looks like a runner.

12:14 PM - It appears the word is out big time on the #1 Crossbow in the 4th at Aqueduct. Steve Haskin first told me me about this juvenile making his debut for McLaughlin. Anything above even money might be worth a win bet.

12:34 PM - Did you see that pace at Aqueduct ... why??? I'll rebound with #6 My Shepherd Girls as the play in the next at Churchill.

12:48 PM - Slow start on my first live blog ... let's turn it around with a live longshot in the 5th at Aqueduct. My buddy Bill and I both love the turf breeding of the #9 Hothersal. He's 10-1 for hot trainer Seth Benzel, play him to win and see what he can do.

1:00 PM - Uggh

1:07 PM - Getting some big help on the comment section ... special thanks to Joe Depaolo live from Aqueduct!

1:20 PM - Four betting interests in the Demoiselle ... time to jump on the pick-3. I'm using the 1,5 / 3,4,5 / 6,8.

1:30PM - Nice win for Dixie City. Prayers go out to Jason Gracia.

1:38 PM - My first impression is that there will be no Kentucky Oaks winners coming out of this year's Demoiselle.

1:43 PM - Huge exacta at Churchill. I didn't bet the race, but if I did, I do not think I would have had that one ... balloons!

1:47 PM - I'll be sitting back watching the Remsen, hoping one of the two longer ones in my live pick-3 get home first.

1:58 PM - Some early trouble there in the Remsen, but surely the best horse won. Moderately impressive win for To Honor and Serve ... methinks he would have trouble with Mo.

2:05 PM - Alive with the #6 Joanie's Catch and the #8 No Such Word in the pick-3 at Aqueduct ... One is balloons and one is peanuts. C'mon everybody root home this 6 for me in the Gazelle!

2:26 PM - No Such Word has become one of the best 3-year-old fillies in the country ... It was the small one, but at least it was a cash in the pick-3. No betting for me in the next at Churchill, but it will be interesting to see how Hailey d'Oro returns off an impressive maiden score.

2:33 PM - The Cigar Mile is next in New York. Early money is all on Musket Man ... I am liking Bribon more and more if he stays anywhere near the current 7-1. I'll play an exacta box with #3 Bribon and #7 Musket Man.

2:46 PM - Hailey d'Oro goes down in flames.

2:55PM - Jersey Town??? Oy vay!!!

3:01 PM - Well, that was certainly a shocker. Right back to work ... at Churchill I will be playing daily doubles with the #10 Disfraz / and the 1,4,5,6 in the Golden Rod.

3:08 PM - A juvenile that I am high on, Cool Blue Red Hot is running in a maiden race next at Calder. Unfortunately, he is currently at 3-5. By the way, I wasn't the only one surprised by Jersey Town ... he was the only horse on my latest poll to not receive a single vote.

3:29 PM - Easy win for Cool Blue Red Hot against Calder maidens. In the Golden Rod at Churchill, I will give big longshot #5 Suave Voir Faire a shot at 25-1. At those odds, win, place, and show will be the bet.

3:50 PM - Wow! I guess Kathmanblu likes dirt. That was the performance of the day so far, on the switch back to dirt. My longshot ambles up for a non-threatening 3rd ... the show price gets me slightly ahead for the race;-)

4:24PM - Nice win by Super Saver's little brother, Brethren in the 10th at Churchill.

4:31PM - I am taking a stand against the heavy favorite Astrology in the Kentucky Jockey Club. #3 Cane Garden Bay is the play, with #2 Santiva, #4 Major Gain, and #7 Halo's Thunder completing my main exacta bets.

4:49 PM - I knew it was a five horse race and go figure, my top pick came in 5th, but I do have a saver bet on the 10 cent superfecta ... would have been more if Major Gain could have beaten Astrology for 2nd.

5:14PM - In the Generous Stakes at Hollywood, I will use the two favorites Comma to the Top and Surrey Star to get my pick-3 rolling. My play will be 4,8/4/6

5:42 PM - Comma to the Top keeps it rolling with another easy win in the Generous.

6:22PM - Whewww, got that photo by a nose. My pick-3 remains alive to my best bet of the day. No need to bet the Citation. After all this, I will either lose for the day ($30), or if Violon Sacre comes through I will collect $294.60, and come out $264 ahead for the day.

6:46 PM - Well Violon Sacre did not have it today, nor did my picks :( If you were playing, I hope you did better than me. Thank you to everyone for visiting today ... it was great fun. Special thanks to Joe Depaolo and William McCabe for extra participation today. See you all at the track real soon.

46 comments:

Charlie. said...

ZATT live....now this is cool. Here is a few of my picks today. Bandbox in the Remsen. Musket Man in the Cigar mile. I'll also play a tri with Musket Man, Bribon and Girolamo. Keep up the good work Brian.

Brian Zipse said...

Thanks Charlie! I'm liking your picks, and if we get that morning line of 12-1 on Bandbox, I will be thrilled!

joe_depaolo said...

The ZATT live-blog!

Major win.

Anyway, I come to you live from the Big A press box. It's kind of quiet here. I think the scribes are still in mourning over the passing of long-time NYRA cameraman Steve Skullestad (better known around here as Skully). I only had the privilege of meeting Skully once or twice, but that was enough to know that he was a popular figure around these parts. He will be greatly missed by the gang here.

But it is a big day of racing, and Skully sure would've wanted his friends to enjoy it, particularly with the long, dark, eternity that is the inner track meet approaching.

I'll pop in with some periodic updates from the scene, starting with this 3rd race, which is currently 2 MTP. The 1 and the 8 looked pretty good on-track to my eyes, and the 8, in particular, looked very sharp. I know he's favored, but still, thought it worth noting.

Good luck to all, and let's enjoy this great day of racing.

Brian Zipse said...

Thanks Joe! Please let us know when you hear the status of everyone involved in the spill...

joe_depaolo said...

Information is sketchy so far. It appears as though the outrider caught October Dreams. Waiting for official word on Ryan and Jack, but I don't think the news will be as good. The vet's been out there for awhile.

Both jocks were taken out on stretchers. I'll keep you posted as soon as I hear anything new.

Damn.

joe_depaolo said...

I'm now hearing October Dreams bled out on the track.

Brian Zipse said...

Oh no :(

Thank you for the updates Joe :(

joe_depaolo said...

I will second that endorsement of Crossbow, Brian. He looks pretty dang good out there on the track. Before you automatically dismiss my opinion, you'll note that I gave out the 8-1 exacta in my last comment. Of course...I didn't have it :-(

Brian Zipse said...

Good call Joe! ... bummer on the no bet.

joe_depaolo said...

Both riders were taken to the hospital. Gracia to Jamaica hospital, Bermudez to North Shore. Gracia's injuries appear to be more serious. More word as soon as I know.

william said...

hi brian love my shepard girls today also

Brian Zipse said...

No luck there Bill ... let's get Hothersal home at the Big A!

william said...

aqueduct race 5...love hothersal, could be a good one on the turf, excellent breeding..good luck

Secretariat said...

Aqueduct Late pick 4:

345/58/38/5 10.

Good Luck All!

--AndyScoggin

william said...

ran big for second..liked the 6 also...ill be back later brian..dont forget churchill 8 disfraz, lemon drop kid on the turf and chirchill 11 cane garden boy

Brian Zipse said...

Wanted that one Bill ... he did run bigh though.

Thanks Andy ... good luck!

joe_depaolo said...

Jockey injury update here from the Big A press box (aka "Alan Garcia Fan Club Headquarters" #toungueincheek).

First the good news. Bermudez seems like he'll be okay. He's being looked at for general aches and pains.

Gracia's injurues, on the other hand, appear to be far more serious. He's being treated for "multi-systems trauma". A quick wikipedia search of that term leads me to believe that we ought to say a prayer for him.

william said...

churchill race 8......triple
#10 disfraz/ #3 bpops and #5 plainview/ all

Brian Zipse said...

Prayers go out to Jason Gracia.

joe_depaolo said...

Smart score for Dixie City in the Demoiselle. Remsen is next. Brian, I think you and I both have our eyes on Bandbox (12-1 ML, opened at 7-2). I call that one the "Eric Donovan special". I think he's, generally, a reliable ML oddsmaker, but this one did seem a touch out of whack. Buffum, who was 2-1 on the ML, opened at 19-1.

To Honor and Serve is obviously the headliner here for Bill Mott and Johnny V. He's currently 2-5. I'll be back with the post parade.

Brian Zipse said...

Yeah Joe, I mentioned Bandbox's unreasonable morning line last night via Facebook and Twitter. I'm rooting for him.

william said...

ok churchill late double..as you know love #10 disfraz, lemon drop kids on the turf have me hooked....with the #1 and #6 in the last...also, after careful review believe that musket man will like the return to distance and aqueduct to win the cigar mile..thanks brian for giving us this opportunity

joe_depaolo said...

Checkmarks to the 1,4, and 5 in the post parade. Approaching post time in the Remsen, GL!

Brian Zipse said...

Thanks Bill, thanks Joe ... great info and picks guys! And Bill you know how I feel about Musket Man ;-)

TurfChatter said...

Touch choice for Johnny V next May. Uncle Mo or To Honor and Serve. I hope they both make it so he actually has to choose.

Brian Zipse said...

Nice win today TurfChatter, but you really think Johnny V would even consider this horse over Uncle Mo? I do not.

william said...

lol....dont think its that tough...tough trip for bandbox and buffum, he put those horses away in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and then coasted...nice horse

joe_depaolo said...

At first glance, To Honor and Serve didn't seem terribly impressive. At least this race was almost 3 seconds faster than the Demoiselle. Still, I'm thinking Pletcher and Repole are sleeping well tonight.

william said...

brian like this a captive audience for me to tout to..lol...in the gazelle think that seeking the title may be ready to take that title, only curious note is her last win was in blinkers, why dont they continue to use them..also notice ramon choosing dubai dancer over belle of the ball?

Brian Zipse said...

We are on different ones in this one Bill ... No Such Word is the one to beat, and am I crazy or could Joanie be coming late?

william said...

sorry brian..im leaning towards crazy

joe_depaolo said...

And before we pile on To Honor and Serve, No Such Word just won the Gazelle in 1:51 flat. The Beyer is probably going to come back around 100.

Peanuts is better than bubkis, Brian. Always remember that :-)

Brian Zipse said...

LOL ... hey! she was wide on both turns and still just missed 3rd. The winner is very good.

Brian Zipse said...

Words of wisdom Joe ;-)

william said...

hey brian..can you tell me why you love that horse at hollywood so much, just asking not questioning,against your court vision?..thanks..im all in too

william said...

wow your right on in the cigar mile, they dont know who to bet, i liked friend or foe a little at 8-1, not at all at 5-2...will enjoy the race

Brian Zipse said...

My Court Vision? Been on Violon Sacre ever since he got here. Explosive turn of foot. He was my longshot in the BC Mile for months, until they did not enter him. I believe he is just better than CV.

william said...

ok..im on him...thought you were a court vision fan,,no?

Brian Zipse said...

No Sir.

joe_depaolo said...

And Jersey Town takes the Cigar. Not impossible to make, figure-wise. He's been a good, knock-around kind of horse in his three NY starts. Good to see him break through. Congrats to Barclay Tagg. And congrats to anyone who had him.

Tough beat for Haynesfield, who ran his eyeballs out. Credit to him.

Signing off, for now. Gonna follow the rest of the day from home. Great job all day, Brian. I have no doubt you'll keep it up from Hollywood. I'll be following.

Cheers, all!

Brian Zipse said...

Thanks for the great info from New York, Joe, and great point on Haynesfled. He ran a big race considering he chased those suicidal fractions.

william said...

plainview what a nice price..disfraz nothing huh?

Brian Zipse said...

Way too far off a very slow pace ... rallied for 5th.

william said...

what a great stretch drive that was...nice win for santiva..no excuses for cane garden bay

Brian Zipse said...

Agreed, and the best horse won. I had a strong feeling Astrology would not win, but his 2nd cost me a few bucks.

Brian Zipse said...

Here is the latest info on those involved in the terrible spill ... http://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/stories/Nov282010.shtml