February 18, 2010

Who Am I ???

*I was not bred in Kentucky nor Florida, but I was still a very well bred American home bred.

*I finished first or second in 12 of my 17 lifetime starts.

*My trainer was inducted into Racing‘s Hall of Fame 33 years before my jockey entered the Hall.

*I finished in the same position in two of the three legs of the Triple Crown.

*More than half of my starts were in New York, but my final five starts came in five different states.

*My rivalry with a Hall of Fame horse was clearly one sided; however, I did get the best of him in one of my biggest wins.

*If you think you know my name, you should be sure of it.

*My most prestigious wins came in New York, but my richest win came in the Keystone State.

*I wish I had run on a sloppy track more than just that one time.

*My sire and my top son also took home the winner’s purse against distinguished members of the Hall of Fame.

*Unfortunately, I was beaten in my final career start at 3-10.

You should know by now … Who Am I ???

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

ALYDAR

Kimness said...

Only YOU know by now!! This is hard!!

Brian Zipse said...

It is hard...and no Alydar is not the answer.

Abitaamber said...

Ok, I feel certain I know the jockey/trainer combo...now to find the horse...

Kimness said...

IT's not Affirmed is it?

Abitaamber said...

The answer is Believe It. I just told Brian that he was the first horse I ever bet on in the Kentucky Derby. Great memories of him.

Brian Zipse said...

No, not Affirmed.

Brian Zipse said...

Abitaamber is a winner...you better Believe It!

Kimness said...

another guess - Damascus

Brian Zipse said...

Tell us how you got it Jay...

Abitaamber said...

Funny that the other two guesses before me were from the same year!

Another G said...

Believe It?

Brian Zipse said...

Too late Another G.

Kimness said...

Congrats Abitaamber! my first try - never heard of Believe It!

Abitaamber said...

The 33 year gap was the key, that meant I looked for a trainer who was inducted long before his career was over. I figured on a cpl...Jerkens or Woody. Jerkens would have paired with Prado and Woody with Maple. Both made sense from a NY standpoint, but Woody/Maple made more sense. I started scrolling thru Maple's biggest wins in NY.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't see that someone else said Believe It but he was third in two legs of the triple crown.

Abitaamber said...

As soon as I saw Believe It as the 78 Wood winner, I remembered his dual 3rds in the Derby or Preakness. He was actually a very good horse that had the major, major misfortune of catching Affirmed and Alydar in 78.

Brian Zipse said...

Impressive Jay...and a first time winner, all the better!

Sharon said...

I was trying to find it through a big race in Pennsylvania - all I could think of was the PA Derby at philly park and I looked at those past winners, but the other hints didn't match. I had never heard of the Heritage stakes (not that I know of that many anyway being new to all of this..lol)

Brian Zipse said...

Good Sharon. In those days the Heritage was worth more than the Remsen and Wood Memorial, and the track, now Philadelphia Park, was called Keystone.

Abitaamber said...

Yep, Sharon, before I started thru Woody/Maple in NY, I checked the PA Derby. Woody won it 3 times, but never with Eddie aboard (although he won the initial event with Eddie's bro, Sam).

Silent Sunday said...

Well I obviously didn't make it in time! Wow.....almost caught my track record. lol Good job Abitaamber!!