August 30, 2010

ZATT is Silenced

I was so looking forward to this past weekend. On Saturday, it would be the 141st running of the Travers Stakes. One of the most prestigious and historic races in America, this year’s edition featured a full field of eleven sophomore colts who appeared extremely evenly matched on paper. Then on Sunday, it was to be the next chapter of the Rachel Alexandra story. I have made no secret of my affection for the filly, and the Personal Ensign offered her numerous new challenges. It would be her first grade 1 of the year, her first race with one of the most respected horses in the country in Life at Ten, and her first attempt at the classic distance of a mile and a quarter. My anticipation for the weekend at Saratoga was intense, and heightening the anticipation was my personal confidence in the feeling that I knew who were going to win these two races.
***The remainder of today's column can be found on Youbet.com*** Click Here

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Brian. Great article. As for Rachel, although it would have been great for her to actually win, I thought she ran a stunning race. She showed a lot of guts in losing. (And, I'm sorry to hear you are off of Twitter for a week. I guess we all have to pay our bets... LOL.)

Michele Hope said...

Great article, Brian. Like you, my heart was breaking little by little in the last 50 yards. I really thought she was going to do it after she passed Life at Ten. It is so hard to see our equine heroes suffer defeat. Rachel will always be Super Filly to me and my love for her will never change. I think your passion and emotion for the horses sets you apart from other writers.

NetworkEmpowerment said...

I am not downed by the loss just by the idiodic statements made by many. I hope she goes to Belmont and kicks some but. She has already crushed LAT. Her effort was valiant and a winning one.

Anonymous said...

I can't belive she lost :( I was acually there too which was a once in a lifetime treat!!!!!!! But she is still a wonderful filly.

Amateurcapper said...

Brian,

Like you, I thought the race would go to RACHEL and it went just as I'd expected. As I wrote on my blog, this is an upset of massive proportions. RACHEL is a brilliant filly but not the same gal she was last year no matter what the figures say. Not the same, but just as classy to take LIFE AT TEN's heat and put that one away. For me, this was a repeat of the Belmont Stakes in '04 when SMARTY JONES was hounded throughout and plodding BIRDSTONE grinded by the fatigued, would-be Triple Crown winner.

So, do you think she'll stay the Classic course or will she be pointed to the Ladies' Classic? I think the latter...there's no shot at her winning the HOY again with this 5-2-3-0 campaign. And, it seems that she doesn't want 10 furlongs.

Condolences on your favorite filly's loss.

Brian Zipse said...

Thank you Jennifer and Michele, and thank you Rob...I think the Beldame and the Ladies Classic would make the most sense for her now.