August 7, 2010

Queen Z, West Virginia Sexiness, and a Booby Trap

The Queen Z has been buzzing around the Del Mar oval since Wednesday in what is believed to be preparation for a third consecutive victory in the Grade 1 Clement Hirsch Stakes. Or is she? I don’t know … do you know? As of the writing of this column, it appears nobody knows. Just hours before post time, it seems her connections do not have an answer for millions of Zenyatta followers. The indecision is born from whether the Big Z can handle the synthetic surface of Del Mar, like she does other surfaces, and furthermore, whether or not the surface is safe enough to risk one of the greatest horses ever to set foot on these beautiful grounds. Trainer John Shirreffs has always been hyper-cautious with his big mare, but the cautioness has now been taken to new levels with this last hour waffling. Everyone wants to see Zenyatta run, and everyone wants to see Zenyatta run safely. To Shirreffs I say, make a decision now so your fans know what is going on.
***The remainder of today's column can be found on Youbet.com*** Click Here

3 comments:

Brian Appleton said...

Zenyatta should romp in the "soft as butter" Hirsch.

I love Exhi but Concord Point is my favorite in the WV Derby. I'm a sucker for flashy grays and Bob Baffert trainee's! Should be a great showdown no matter who ends up winning.

Lisa's Booby Trap was spectacular I thought! I was going to choose her as my upset pick in the Coaching Club American Oaks before she was scratched.

Brian Zipse said...

Soft as butter, well said. I can see why you like Concord, but I am sticking with the sexy one. Look for Lisa's Booby Trap to run in the Victory Ride Stakes on Travers day next.

Brian Appleton said...

Well, I got Concord Point with Exhi second and you got Blame with Quality Road, we're in good company! :)

I really hope Lisa's Booby Trap makes a big "go" of it, she has such a touching story to go along with her awesome talent.