October 1, 2009

Who Am I ???

*I finished first in 12 out of 18 lifetime starts over my three year racing career.

*As a 2-year-old, I was winless in three starts.

*I was bred in Kentucky and my grandsire, Northern Dancer, is considered one of the greatest sires in thoroughbred racing history.

*I was ridden to victory by five different jockeys.

*My two biggest victories were in races of at least a million bucks, which was big back in my day.

*In my last race on dirt, I won by eight lengths.

*In my most important triumph, I was not expected to win despite the fact that it was the final race of my championship season.

*I won races at nine different tracks in six different states.

*My favorite color is green and my name comes from a place where I‘ve never been.

*In my final 17 races, I finished no worse than 2nd place.

*I did not receive back-to-back eclipse awards despite my sparkling record of 4 wins and 1 second from 5 starts in my final year.

You should know by now … Who Am I ???

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Manila of course! I remember reading an article about the son of Lyphard in Bloodhorse last year. At 3 he took the Breeders Cup Turf, and then went on to win the Eclipse award for Male Turf horse in 1986.

Brian Zipse said...

Well done Mandy!!! The answer is Manila, one of America's great turf horses. In 1987 he won the Arlington Million over soon to be champion Theatrical, but then was injured and never raced again.